Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tadpoles...

Earlier this Spring we were on a mission to find tadpoles as I wrote about here: http://calico-garden.blogspot.com/2008/05/tadpoles-what-tadpoles.html We had no luck!!! Last week our friend Charlotte asked if we had found any? Nope, none. She had a great surprise for Holly -- four tadpoles!!! Holly was so excited to get a tadpole, but four -- WOW!

Our tadpoles are safely tucked into their own little pond like sanctuary, a plastic fish container, complete with some rocks especially chosen for their home, twigs we plucked from the yard and a water plant or two. It's a good life for captivity! Holly has even named them all... Star. All of them are named Star - so, it's not too hard to figure out who we are watching and you can't mess up their names too much, ha! We check them a few times a day to see if any changes are happening. The only change I see is that they are double the size they were just last week - they are eating like crazy and pretty active actually.
We have also been busy learning about tadpoles and frogs, from books and the internet. Yesterday we painted several frogs and cut them out. Looked at the frog life cycle and made it into an art project. As well, we are working on a lap book all about frogs - when we are done I will post some photos of it. Holly has really been enjoying her journey into tadpole land. Me too! Thanks Charlotte!!!
Here are our little Stars of the house:

2 comments:

aimee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is great, I add you to my blog role.

FlipFlop Mom said...

Oh my goodness.. those are so CUTE!!! How are they doing now?? I remember trying to "grow" them in the 5th grade... shhh don't tell.. but I didn't have very good luck!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Yours is ADORABLE!!!

Happy 4th